Venomous scorpion found in Scottish street

Email This Post Email This Post
Filed under: UK News |

Florida bark scorpion

A poisonous American scorpion was found this week scuttling along a South Lanarkshire street.

A dog owner, or rather his West Highland terrier named Skye discovered the scorpion on Wednesday outside their Hamilton home. The quick-thinking unfazed chap captured the scorpion in a plastic container and handed it over to the Scottish equivalent of the RSPCA who identified the nasty arachnid as a Florida bark scorpion.

“Florida barks aren’t deadly although, if bitten, the pain could vary from that of a bee-sting to intense inflammation and sickness.” Animal rescue officer Ashley Griffin explained.

“As they’re native to Florida and very common there, it’s likely someone has brought this creature back in their suitcase without realising.”

Comment below or join the discussion on our forum: Scorpion found in Scotland

Cubed earwax